by ECASP_ADMIN posted Nov 09, 2022
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

smarthome.png

As the world develops with millions of Internet of Things devices, it’s important to consider solutions for a home, more specifically the lighting. We will discuss the design of the Smart Home Lighting System that aims to provide one of various solutions to making the lights of a home smart. This design replaces the light switches of a home to control multiple lights at once. Possibly one of the most overlooked parts of the design in the lighting system is the circuit. The simplicity in hardware and wiring allows for the ease of incorporating it into any home without the need for a major remodel. With less complexity on the hardware end, we turn to the software and all the Smart Home Lighting System has to provide. To begin, the system as a whole has two majors modes. The first mode replicates a standard switch, where the user can simply turn on and off the lights by toggling the switch. The second mode is Sense mode where it uses the sensors located inside of a room to turn on or off the lights. Allowing both modes is crucial to prevent intimidation for users with a lighting system overhaul. Each light switch is customizable via the accompanying Smartphone application. The Smartphone application is not required however, it expands on the abilities the system is capable of, but the Sense and Normal mode are able to be toggled on each individual light switch with a double tap. The design also includes a scheduling system to allow for various lights to turn on or off based on specific weekdays and time of day. I amongst others fall victim to oversleeping. The ability to allow scheduling allows for the lights to turn on before my morning alarm goes off, reducing the chance of me falling back asleep. The light system also includes a Vacation Mode. This mode is meant for when a family leaves the house for an extended period of time. The family is then able to set a window of time in which the lights will simulate the activity of residents in the house to deter potential burglars from entering.